May I do something slightly out of the ordinary? May I tell you the punch line right now? Perhaps you’ve chosen to read this first … or last … or, more likely, somewhere in the middle. Well, regardless of where you are, here it is: This is all about Him: the Lord Jesus Christ, the eternal Son of God, the Savior of Mankind!
Reduced to its essentials it goes something like this:
1. We’re in very deep trouble: Our sins separate us from God. And He has decreed that our separation shall be forever. It is as if a great chasm keeps us apart. That’s the bad news, and it only gets worse.
2. No matter what how hard try we cannot build our own bridge to God. We always come up short. We can never be smart enough, or religious enough, or rich enough, or kind enough, or anything enough to earn God’s favor, and thus persuade Him to reverse His decision. Now that is the really, very bad news!
3. But the really good news is that He has already built the bridge. We never needed to try in the first place! Imagine His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, hanging on that terrible cross… now see it as a bridge! God’s bridge! God’s answer to our unsolvable problem is to be found in His Son! Not in a system of religion, or ethics, or morality, or anything else that we can dream up on our own. No! Our salvation is in a person: the Lord Jesus Christ.
4. But just knowing about the bridge is not enough. That would be like standing on this side of the chasm and seeing a wonderfully beautiful, strong bridge that stretches out before you: and yes, it extends all the way to the other side… the side where God is! And then just discussing it, and describing it, and arguing about its unique engineering, and praising its breathless beauty … on and on, and all the time remaining firmly rooted on the same old side!
5. Don’t you see! In order to get to the other side you must get on the bridge. You must put your full weight on it. You must depend on it alone to bear you safely to the other side. No one ever crossed a bridge with one foot firmly planted on the near side!
6. So it must be with you and Jesus. He is the bridge, and you must put you total trust in Him. He can bear all of your weight: the heavy burden of guilt, because He, who was perfect and sinless, became sin for us as He hung on that cross! The heavy burden of loneliness? He experienced the deepest loneliness any man has ever endured when, as He hung on the cross, his Father turned His back on him and forsook him.
7. So, yes, this is all about Jesus. And that is what you will find on every page of this ancient revelation. The star names, the pictures, their positions within the chart, they all speak of Him alone.
God is waiting for you to respond to His gracious invitation to cross over His bridge. If you would like to do so, here is a prayer that is found in one of the most popular little gospel tracts that was ever printed. It has been used to introduce untold millions to Jesus:
Dear Lord Jesus,
I know that I am a sinner, and I ask for Your forgiveness. I believe You died for my sins and rose from the dead. I turn from my sins and invite You to come into my heart and life. I want to trust and follow You as my Lord and Savior.
In Your name, Amen
I encourage you to seriously consider these questions: “Where am I? Am I still on this side of the chasm? Have I ever trusted Jesus as my only bridge to God?”
Won’t you read the prayer again, carefully? And then trust Jesus to save you?
May God bless you as you consider this, the most important decision you will ever make. And if you do pray this prayer, or if we can help you with questions you may have, please let us know by clicking on Contact Us.